8.13.2008

Roland's Avulsion, Lizzy's Fe Deficiency and Charlotte's New Car

Roland had a nail avulsion on Saturday. That is when your nail come completely detached from the bone. (I didn;t know your nails where attached to the bone either) The doctor cut the nail bed completely out and then reattached the nail, about a 1/2 section, back to the finger with a stitch. I got to see it for the first time today and it was not a pretty sight. I dilemma now is not to let the nail bed dry out but the let skin dry. When he changes his bandages every day he covers the nail part with ointment and lets the rest dry for a couple of hours. Why should he not let it dry out? Well as the nail grows back it will take the path of least resistance so if the skin gets dry the nail might start to grow down instead of out, and that would mean surgery. The cool things you learn when you go the to doctor. But the worst part is when he takes of his bandages he has to clean the entire wound with soap and water. It looks so painful, I would probably just risk the infections. He saw a surgeon on Tuesday afternoon and he said it was too soon to tell if surgery would be necessary. The tip top of his finger is crushed though so he has to wear a funny looking plastic finger to protect it. I think next season he is going to sit softball out.

As for my medical issues I am still pregnant. BUt at my last appointment I had my glucose test and my blood work done. Apparently I was off the charts iron deficient. I am usually low and became extremely with my pregnancy with Charlotte. But this time I have to take supplements threetimes daily. But a good thing is the supplement is solving my pregnancy problems. I week ago I consider getting a load of laundry in the washing machine a successful day. Today I did five loads from start to finish, vacuumed two rooms, washed my bedroom floor and did the dishes. It is nice to be back.

Today Charlotte and I went to Rite Aid to get bandaging supplies for Roland's finger. as we are walking in I am asking her if she whats to ride in a cart or carry a basket for me. (We have never discussed this before, we always get a cart) She doesn't say anything back, not unusual, but goes through the automatic doors, 'Thank you' as she goes through the first one and 'thank you' yjrought the next. She heads straight for the stack of baskets takes one and head down an isle. I am stunned but I keep up, directing first tothe make isle. This is where I see her master her self control. She loves make up, ask aunt Amanda, and here she is standing in front of the wall of make up. She goes for some lip gloss, I tell her no touching. We continue down the isle and I see her looking up and even crouching down to see it all, but she didn't even try to touch. We get to what I need and I let her get it of the shelf and but it in the basket, which she is stil carrying. We then set of the find the bandages. Again she is so good to just take the ones that we need. She did bump a package and it fell off the shelf, she turns to me and said 'I sorry' Seriously who is this girl. We are on our way to pay, we pass a stand with 4 inch long cars. The wind-up kind. She picks one up and I tell her she can choose one, because honestly she has been so good. She chooses a blue Mazada 5. While I am paying she goes to the ground to test it out. First try she got it to go about ten yards. And it was fast. But after that so much for the good trip to Rite Aid. I had to chase her and the car for five minutes and carried her across the parking lot crying all the way. So do I keep rewarding good behavior?

4 comments:

Bonny said...

I have always had an low iron too. I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Monica Mary said...

I didn't know this about the iron but I am so glad your energy is up!

Hilarious about the car...

Poor poor Roland

The Wessman Family said...

Yeah! I am glad that you are doing better. I don't know that I can ever claim to accomplish so much in one day--pregnant or not:) Way to go!

Unknown said...

Ouch about Roland! And I'm grossed out a bit too! I just watched Syriana last night and I almost threw up at that part in the movie with the fingernails (have you seen it? I'm assuming you have).

I'm glad that you are feeling better. More energy is always nice.

Charlotte sounds so cute. And yes keep rewarding good behavior (I realize that was probabaly a rhetorical question, but I felt the need to answer it anyway. :)). At least she only cried when you left the store, and not the whole time you were in the store.