11.14.2008

Isabel's Arrival

I never did post more about Isabel's birth, so here is a more detailed account of the days events.
Thursday I had a doctors appointment, I went in and I was continuing to progress and the doctor told me to not make another appointment. So I took that as "you are going to have this baby within the week, so you won't need to come back here" So I left the office all nervous but excited thinking about when it was going to happen. Thinking that every pain I felt was IT. I went to Roland's basketball game that night and then went to bed on the couch like every night and I was telling myself that it was going to be a repeat of Charlotte's labor, go to bed and an hour later water breaks. I was excited for this so I couldn't sleep, and not only could I not sleep but I also had ZERO contractions all night long.
The next morning Roland left for work and about five minutes later I started having contractions, about every 8 minutes. Since I had experienced false labor contractions several times I decided I had to test to see if they were "real" contractions, so I had to move around to see if they got worse and closer together. So I got up and thought I better take a shower just in case. So I showered and did my hair and by now it had been an hour of pretty painful and five minutes apart contractions.
I called ROland to tell him that I was going to the hospital at 8 if they didn't stop (it was 720 am) and he said he would come home then. When Roland got home they were 3 minutes apart and painful enough that I cried a little. Charlotte was still asleep and lucky for us Daniel (Roland's brother) did have to work that day so he was nice enough to come and be with Charlotte until Amanda (my sister) could pick her up. Thanks Dan.
So with baby in good hands and bags packed we headed to the hospital. I was just hopingto not be sent home, this had to be it. They put us in a room and waited for a nurse to get checked and the nurse got on her walkie talkie thingy and announced that I was going to be admitted, I almost cheered. It must have been a slow morning because by the ime i got into my delivery room the dr was there to give me my epidural (went very smoothly this time) and so then we sat and talked to our nurse for awhile and ate ice chips until my doctor got back from a dentist appointment (he was not supposed to be in that day he was on his way out of town, but he stayedfor the delivery) The doctor was needing to go so he broke my water and gave me a little bit of petocin to get everything moving again. The doctor had to turn her and as he was getting ready to do that I remembered that we had left the camera in the car, I didn't bring in my bag because I didn't know if we were staying. The nurse says you better run, and Roland hurries out the door. See we are bad at taking pictures. Roland got back just in time for the first of my 3 pushes. By 1145 Isabel was born. It was easy breezy. We couldn't believe the hair, it was so white that we thought she had red hair at first, and so big. So there it is the condensed version anyway, but it was very quick with very few surprises.

2 comments:

Bonny said...

So glad it was pretty easy for you. She is such a doll and I know you are glad to have her. :) Cute picture of the two of them!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you had a good labor. Makes me miss the whole labor process. A c-section just isn't as exciting.